Saturday 27 October 2012

Lucy Rhiannon

Singer/Songwriter Lucy Rhiannon has only played a small number of gigs but is already making a name for herself in Manchester. Having caught the attention of BBC Intorducing, Lucy has recorded a session and played at the monthly introducting night. You can check out some of Lucy's music on Sound Cloud. Keep an eye on Lucy's as 2013 is sure to be a big year for her.


Hey Lucy, how are you?

I'm really good thank you!

How long have you been singing and when did you play your first gig? 

I've been performing for just under a year and only recently started gigging with my own material. My first gig was at Night n Day a couple of months ago in the Northern Quarter which was great!

How did you get into singing? 

I got in to singing at a really young age actually at Primary school. I remember being chosen to sing solo in the Christmas play in front of around 200 people at the age of around 9! I was so quiet and shy when I was younger but when I sang it just felt so natural and in my comfort zone. I was always in the choir or any event that involved music and singing. From then on it was always a hobby and I knew I'd want to make it a career someday.

Which bands/artists have influenced you? 

I love deep strong gravelly voices. Nina Simone, Bob Dylan, Elbow, Johnny Cash are massive influences.

You've had support from BBC Manchester/Introducing, how much has that helped you?

BBC introducing have been amazing for helping me gain recognition in Manchester. Michelle Hussey (radio dj) first heard my songs and was really interested. Since then i've done live sessions and interviews, etc. I recently performed at the Ruby Lounge for the BBC introducing night which was incredible!

Is It difficult to get exposure outside of Manchester?

Being really new to the music scene I haven't yet had the opportunity to gig outside of Manchester. Over the next few months I'll definitely be in London so keep a look out for new dates! 

What music have you been listening to recently?

My favourite artist at the moment is Lianne La Havas. Her album is incredible. Also listening to Ben Howard, Bon Iver, Ren Harvieu, Lucy Rose, ALT J ..Some great new artists around at the moment and I love going to see them at really intimate venues.

Where can we find your music?

You can find a couple of my tunes on www.soundcloud.com/lucy-rhiannon. I'm currently recording new material so keep a look out over the next couple of months!

Whats does the future hold for Lucy Rhiannon? 

At the moment i'm gaining as much experience as possible and in just a few months it's been amazing and everyone has been so supportive along the way. Watch this space!





 You can find out more about Lucy on facebook 

No comments:

Post a Comment